Sunday 23 June 2013

Off-topic: further defence of Atheism

I have been, and will continue to, critique an Apologetics work titled The Dawkins Proof.  Normally I try to leave religion out of the discussion here and focus on evolution v creation.  I would like readers to accept that I am attacking some versions of Christianity not for their religious claims so much as their poor logic.  On the other hand, I have critical views of the Roman Catholic Church as well, but tend to leave it alone on this blog.  The Catholics, whatever their other crimes- and there are many- do accept evolution after all.

With that poorly argued excuse, let me quote an excerpt from H L Mencken's Memorial Service (For the full list, follow the link).

Nin
Persephone
Istar
Lagas
U-urugal
Sirtumu
Ea
Nirig
Nebo
Samas
Ma-banba-anna
En-Mersi
Amurru
Assur
Aku
Qarradu
Ura-gala
Ueras
You may think I spoof. That I invent the names. I do not. Ask the rector to lend you any good treatise on comparative religion: You will find them all listed. They were gods of the highest standing and dignity-gods of civilized peoples-worshiped and believed in by millions. All were theoretically omnipotent, omniscient, and immortal. And all are dead.
At some point soon, I will be looking at Barn's rebuttal to Dawkins' equating religions to "mind viruses".  Barns doesn't believe such mind-viruses, or possibly memes, could exist and asks how untrue claims could exist for long periods of time. My response is contained in the (partial) list above.  There are many such Gods who were well-accepted by many and I think Barns would agree with me that these could fit the definition of 'mind virus'.

No comments:

Post a Comment